Thursday 4 June 2009

Boston!

Woke up, went to wifi hotspot, still no money on card. Swore, called home, booked flight for 6 hours time on mum's card.
The rest of the day was pretty much spent getting ready to go, one last quick internet check, then heading to the airport on the subway, the subway ride took about 50 minutes and was totally painless, and only cost $2.25! Which was a totaly result. You can keep your $25 airport shuttles mate :) As we flew out of Chicago and I looked out the window back at the city, I finally realized how tall the John Hancock and Sears Tower really are, they were still level with us after take off! and they were above the cloud level at the top, Chicago really does look awesome fro the air, and so does the coastline stretching away from it. I then wished I'd had my camera with me instead of in the overhead luggage, and as we were stil taking off, I couldn't get up and grab it. :(
The flight was pretty straightforward and I read some more of Clarkson on Cars, then looke dout the window to see we were flying along the beach, rather low. It would seem, dear readers, that the runway in Boston stop/ends (depending on how you look at it) on the watherfront, and to get there you fly along the beach, then over maybe 500m of land then more water and then you touch down on the most buttock-clenching landing you can think of, as the plane gets lower, all you can see is water, you hear the engines pick up as the pilot levels, and wonder for a split second before dismissing it, 'is this right?' Of course it was and we landed all safe and sound. I then took the magical subway (again $2.25 and this was over two different lines) to the station by my hostel, then wandered around in circles, actually around the road with my hostel in for a while before I found it. walked in, checked in, card got declined, called the usual, told the money had not been put in, and that I should wait about 6 hours. I wandered out to the nearest atm, drained my nationwide account of all but $20 and finally checked in. (which reminds me, i'd best top that back up.) my new room is a 2 bed co-ed, where I'm sharing with 6 irish guys, one usa/korean guy and 2 english lads. I headed out to find the nearest Subway for dinner, and along the way my trusty mp3 friend picked Enter Shikari, excellent call, I nu-raved my ass all the way to subway, past the musical college centre of the world (literally dozens of buldings) past a very posh theatre with posh old people coming out, in my black hoody with the bright hot pink writing on. Oh yeah, I'm that cool, and past a musical instrument store, (i'll be checking that out tomorrow.) And finally, to bed :)

No comments:

Post a Comment