Monday 1 June 2009

lets go Magic

Today I had a lie in and got up about 9:30, went on the interent for a bit, tried to suss out my finances and plan for the next 14 days, gave up and wandered round a few blocked for food for the next few days, failed again and bought a subway. though it was a 5 buck footlong special, so that'll cover me 'til way into tonight, where I shall find a bar to watch the Orlando game. I then trundled back to my bunk to write up the last few days of the usa and all of Fiji. I managed the USA part! it's now 3pm, and I'm gonna post this online, sort out where I can buy food, and plan my trips to the united center and soldier field. I thought about seeing a baseball game, and although I'm sure I'd love the atompshere and experience, I'm not sureI can be bothered. I have better things to spend my money on! In the end I went to a sports bar called Junior's on Maxwell st. It was lush! Upon walking in I saw loads of screens, (I went so I could eat and see the Orlando game,) some local police sitting down for some food, it was mildly empty so i picked a booth and sat down, and by chance the booth happened to be showing the Red Wings - Penguins Stanley cup game on a small screen, result I thought! until I got asked to move to a hightop as booths were reserved for 4-6 people incase it got busy. This wasn't a bad thing as I ended up much closer to the Basketball screen :) I oreder a miller light, and an ace of jack burger and fries for $9. The fires were ok, but over fried. The burger on the other hand... better than anything I've had recently, burger, bacon, cheese, jack daniels bbq sauce, it was awesome. so as I devoured this burger, the place started to fill up, and more screens switched to the basketball, which was nice. lol. As the place filled up I noticed that I was most definately in the minority, not only was I one of only three white punters, but more notably, I was supporting the Magic, and pretty much no-one else was. The big dude oppostie me was very animated over his support for the Cavs, though I think it was mostly for Lebron James, we exchanged multiple glances and expressions of myrth and frustration at our teams as the game progressed, mostly laughing. By the end of the game the place was heaving, and they were clearing out the hi-tops to make space for i guess a dance floor, I don't know as once we won and I sank my 5th pint, (I had planned to go out and get to know people the saturday night I was in Chicago) and I headed on the 30 minute walk home, content that I'd had a great meal, my team had progressed to the NBA playoff finals, and I generally felt good about the world and loving Chicago :)

No comments:

Post a Comment