Thursday 4 June 2009

Sometimes you wanna go...where everybody knows your name

Today, I got up nice and late at about 11ish, and then decided to take a stroll around Boston. I headed down Commonwealth Avenue park, towards Boston Public Garden, with Chevelle's Wonder What's Next album beating a strong and steady dirge. (Incidentally, after having this album on mp3 for ages, I bought it on cd in Chicago :) ) it was a really nice walk, broken up by statues every block or so, then through Boson Public Gardens and Boston Common, which was part of the original mile and a half square peninsular that was here when Boston was founded. most of the rest, (Back Bay) has been made by filling in the Charles River since the 1800s, and as such was subject to city planning, which means all the roads are wide and square, whereas further into the old city as I would find the roads follow the old puritans footpaths and everything is rather narrower. I walked myself to the river and came back along the 'Freedom Trail,' a double line of red brick set in the pavement as a set walk to take visitors past all the main points of Boston and it's revolution, ironically to Rage Against the Maching and Mr De La Rocha Screaming freedom down my ears. Awesome. Finally, to end my tour of Boston, I had to do the only other thing you have to do...go to the pub that was the original basis for cheers. I only had one pint, (at $6.50 can you blame me?) but I can now say I've had a beer in the real life equivalent to cheers. And I feel much better for having done so! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment