Saturday 30 May 2009

End of Chapter 3, and continuation of chapter The Halfiax sucks Arse.

Today was Alana's last day, so with little time to do anything, we headed out of town to Aurora, to their version of MacArthur Glen, to see if she could get any last minute bargains, we didn't leave the room til about 11am (checking out time, due to last night's events taking us to about 2am! Alana bought a few items, I bought Ice Cream :) then we headed to the Airport (O'Hare) to drop off the car and see Alana off. In the end we notched up 3915 miles in that Sentra, with fuel pices ranging from $2.15 a gallon (US) to $2.85, (we did see $2.05 and $3.45) all in all, it served us well, as much as we'd have preferred to cruise along in a mustang or something old and chromed, it did the job, if without any of the power it should've had. After dropping off the car (and not leaving anything in it) we headed in, Alaa checked in, we grabbed some water and had a chat and a drink whilst waiting for her flight (it had been delayed for nearly an hour.) Once we'd gone our seperate ways, I grabbed an airport shuttle to the Hostel, it took a good hour or so to get to where it dropped me off, which kinda cool, as I got to see a different part of the city in a relaxed space. Also, as I was now bricking it about being on my own and what would I do if one of my cards ballsed up, it was a nice relaxing time as I was doing something, there was nothing I could do about it or to it or anything to make it any different, I could just tag along and enjoy the ride. Of course, this being me they dropped me off at a vey expensive hotel which sounded like my hostel, but it was ok, as my hostel was only round the corner and took all of 3 minutes to walk to. Then check in time. Interestingly enough I'd booked 2 nights in a 10 man dorm, and 3 in an 8 man dorm, as the 10's were all sold out on those dates, when I arrived, I fond out I'd actually been booked into a female dorm for 4 nights. Obviously I wasn't going to complain, but they did move me to a male dorm, drats, maybe next time. Next, I paid for my bunk and headed to my room. Or did I? No, of course I didn't, I bamk with the Halifax, and therefore, my card declined (now, I've lost count of the amount of times I've told them I'm away 'til mid june, and I knew I had enough money to cover it in there) so I asked the lad to try again, for a lesser amount, nope, declined again. OK, plan b, bit of a pain, but I want somewhere to sleep, so I wandered off round the corner to an atm to get cash out of my Nationwide account, except, there wasn't any in my nationwide account, because I'm poor. Fudge. So, slightly miffed at the card declining stil, I wandered back in and sked if there was a wifi connection I could pinch briefly, there was, so I jumped on that, logged into my account, and low and behold, there was more than the amount sitting in my account waiting to be used. So, we know what happens next, a 10 minute phone call to Halifax, who seem bemused I'm in another country, "have you told us you were going out of the country sir?" I resisted the urge to use expletives, as it's obviously not his fault that his company is entirely incompetent. Then he checked my activity and said there had not been any attempted transactions recently, and then tsaid, "oo, it might be because our computer card system has been off for the last 15 minutes, but Mastercard usually takes over from us." Sorry? You turn off your entire system once a day and hope someone else's system takes over? (it was explained it was daily maintenance, done at this time so to inconvienence as few people as possible - I lose again) that's a ridiculous way to run a credit facility, ever heard of a secondary?? Twats. Anyways, he then laimed to call "head office" to tell them any transaction coming through from chicago in the next 15 minutes would be me and fine to pass. (ANY??? I said the company name, their location, everything. I don't want ANY transaction you tit.) Anyways, eventually, I got in! and it's very nice, I had a quick look around and it is a lovely hostel, though right next to the L! (El - Elevated Train system) - Oh yeah, and my phone charger broke this morning too :(
But I'm all good :)

No comments:

Post a Comment