Saturday 30 May 2009

I can't find the keys....I'm turning into Dad!

Today, we went for the Adler Planetarium, which was very cool, 2 shows on those 360 degree domed screens you get for such presentations, some cool exhibits about space and the world, and the pod from Gemini XII which was awesome to see, it was tiny, with two unpadded seats and then a mass of switches, levers and gadgets around them, just to think, this is the space two men lived in for 2 weeks! how did they get any exercise or stretch their legs??? After this we wandered over to Sears Tower and went up to the skydeck, though the main skydeck is undergoing refurbishment (on the 103rd floor) we could go up to the 99th and look around, which was probably better as the visibility did end a few miles away, so any higher and we'd have just been further away from what was insight. The views were amazing, this place is massive we saw all the sports grounds, both airports, and more, before eventually deciding we should come down. We then started to head back to the car, and as we passed the Art Institue on the way had a look in there. We eventually got back to the car park about 7:30, paid for our ticket nly to find we no longer possessed the car keys. Which after being so damned careful for the last 2 weeks seemed impossible, also the reminder on the keyring that said min fee for lost key $250 was not helping. Fortunately, we're both pretty sensible when we need to be, so I called the Aquarium, and the skydeck, only to find that the aquarium was shut and the skydeck had no-one on the phone after 5pm. Then I called the shop I bought stuff in, and they were hepful and said they'd call back if they found them. we then headed to the planetarium on the off chance they'd have a security guard wandering around. they didn't. so we headed back to the art institute via the park where we stopped to see the floral sculptures made of car parts to see if we'd dorpped them, no luck, Alana ran on to the Institue as they were about to close, they were very sympathetic and gave her the number for the local police station. I called them, no luck. and again when hanging up the phone, like the shop they wished me a good day. good day? it's 8pm and I've lost my car keys you ****! we headed to the skydeck next, all the time I was trying to remember the roads the dunkin donuts we stopped at was on so I could call directory enquiries and get them as I was sure that's where the keys would be. Outside skydeck we got apporached by a man working for the local shelter (why he chose to approach two angry faced, power walking, crazy looking tourists I don't know, but I though for a bit of Karma I'd give him a dollar or so, allowing Alana to get ahead, as I walked into the skydeck, there was Alana facing the security guard who had made me empty my pockets earlier holding up our keys! yay! (we'd ha to empty our pockets for a metal detector, and somehow my wallet, phone and camera made it back out of the box into my pockets but the keys didn't. Though seeing as it was the same guard and he'd obviously noticed, how comes he didn't say anything? He could've saved us 45 minutes of panicked power walking! Though I didn't feel justified about the karma thing. My legs were now broken, as was Alana, but we had to power walk back as if I stopped for too long I wouldn't get started again, so much for the plan of getting back nice an early for the last night, having a KFC and chilling watching a film. I decided we both needed beer, so we made it a point to grab beer on the way home. also, to soak our feet in the bath, thus appeared the idea of kfc, beer and feet in right now isn't even as funny as the real image was! We got back to the car, got out of the car park, having to pay again for the parking as they're bloody useless too. then headed off for beer, check, petrol, check, taco bell for Alana, check, and, KFC for me, ahh, now here was the problem, I'd set my mind on popcorn chicken, (film, popcorn, worked for me) and we'd seen loads of KFC's everywhere on our travels, normally attached to a taco bell. well, in the end it took an hour of searching, finally giving up and using interent on my phone to find one, (bt the way, the KFC mobile site is exactly what you need from a mobile website, the first thing you have on the screen is an option to enter a zip code and it'll find you the nearest outlets and show them on a google map. the second option takes you to the menu. brilliant, whoever desgined that concept needs a raise, a promotion and to make everyone's corporate mobile sites. what else do you need??) eventually we got back, did said foot spa with a foam cup for a plug, as they didn't have one in the room, and drank the beers watching coupling 'til 2am. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment